POWER AND INFLUENCE OF NURSES IN HISTORY
MONDAY, OCTOBER 29 (SPANISH)
3:00 p.m. CONFERENCE DOCUMENTATION
Congress Venue: Xesc Forteza Theater, Miquel Maura Square 1, 07001. Palma.
5:00 p.m. OPENING ACT
5:30 p.m. INAUGURAL LECTURE
Moderator: Mrs. Nuria Cuxart Ainaud, Dean of the Council of Colleges of Nurses of Catalonia.
• Professional power and influence of nurses. Rosamaría Alberdi Castell, PhD, University of the Balearic Islands.
6:30 pm BREAK
6:45 p.m. ORAL COMMUNICATIONS
8:00 p.m. WELCOME RECEPTION
09:00 p.m. CULTURAL NIGHT VISIT
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 30
(SIMULTANEOUS TRANSLATION SPANISH / ENGLISH)
08:30 a.m. ORAL COMMUNICATIONS
9:30 a.m. LECTURE
“Nurse leaders and the internationalization of nursing, 1899-1925”
Christine Hallet, PhD. University of Huddersfield, UK.
Moderator: Miquel Bennasar Veny, PhD. University of the Balearic Islands.
10:30 a.m. PANEL SESSION I: Nursing relationships with other disciplines.
Moderator: Joan de Pedro Gómez, PhD. University of the Balearic Islands.
• Nursing relationship with medical anthropology. Josep Barceló Prats, PhD. Rovira i Virgili University, Tarragona.
• Normalization and resistance of nurses. A historical approach. Cristina Moreno Mulet, PhD. University of the Balearic Islands.
• Power relationships of nurses during the final period of the Franco dictatorship. Margalida Miró Bonet, PhD. University of the Balearic Islands.
12:00 p.m. COFFEE BREAK
12:30 p.m. PANEL SESSION II: The evolution of nursing education.
Moderator: Ramón Del Gallego Lastra, PhD. Complutense University, Madrid.
• Proto-nursing: manuals and regulations. Manuel García Martínez, PhD. University of Seville.
• The historical novel as a learning source of the History of Nursing. Mrs. Mª Dolores Montalvo Carcelén, RN, graduate in History and writer.
• Teaching the History of Nursing. Mrs. María Luz Fernández Fernández, University of Cantabria.
• Migrant trained nurses. The case of Spain. Paola Galbany Estragués, PhD. University of Vic.
2:30 p.m. WORK LUNCH
3:30 p.m. LECTURE: Material culture and the history of nursing: identity, iconography and the mundane.
Moderator: Gloria Gallego Caminero, PhD. University of the Balearic Islands.
Speaker: Sioban Nelson, PhD. Vice Chancellor of the University of Toronto, Canada.
4:30 p.m. COFFEE BREAK
5:00 p.m. PANEL SESSION III: Historical and cultural heritage of Nursing.
Moderator: Pilar Almansa Martínez, PhD. University of Murcia.
• The heritage of health sciences. Alfons Zarzoso i Orellana, PhD. Autonomous University of Barcelona.
• “Centre management in Hospital Constitutions”. Antonio Claret García Martínez, PhD. University of Huelva
• “Care settings. Architecture and nursing”. Francisco Javier Castro Molina, PhD. University of La Laguna.
• “Immaterial heritage: Nurses’ oral history.” María Eugenia Galiana Sánchez, PhD. University of Alicante.
7:00 p.m. FREE ORAL COMMUNICATIONS
10:00 p.m. CONGRESS DINNER
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 31st (SPANISH)
8 a.m. GENERAL ASSEMBLY of the Permanent Seminar for research in nursing history.
9 a.m. FREE ORAL COMMUNICATIONS
10 h. PANEL SESSION IV: Nurses in war conflicts and disasters.
Moderator: Carme Vila Gimeno, PhD. University of Barcelona.
“Diseases, wars and famines. Social responses”. Magdalena Santo Tomás Pérez, PhD. University of Valladolid.
“Social organization against epidemics. Sanitary cords and other containment measures”. Pere Salas Vives, PhD. University of Balearic Islands.
“Eighty years later, nurses of the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939)”. Carme Torres Penella, PhD. University of Lleida.
“Nurses facing catastrophes: Catalunya, August 2017”. Mª del Carme Olivé Ferrer, PhD. University of Barcelona.
12 p.m. COFFEE BREAK.
12.30 p.m. PRESENTATION OF THE XVII NATIONAL CONGRESS AND XII INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF NURSING HISTORY.
13 p.m. CLOSING LECTURE.
Moderator: Francisca Hernández Martín, PhD. President of the Permanent Seminar for research in nursing history.
Leadership and political power of the nurses. A gender analysis.
Carmen González Canalejo, PhD. University of Almería.
14 p.m. CLOSING ACT.
Place: Official Nursing College of the Balearic Islands, Almirant Gravina street, 1. 07004. Palma.
WORKSHOP 1. October 29th from 9 h to 13 h. “Introduction to the study of textual and artistic sources in the history of health sciences”.
Isabel Morente Parra, PhD. University Complutense of Madrid.
WORKSHOP 2. October 31st from 16 to 20 h. “Lessons from the past: how to build nurses’ history”
Eugenia Galiana Sánchez, Phd, University of Alicante.